https://drali.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/lw2-plastic-surgeon.png 0 0 admin https://drali.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/lw2-plastic-surgeon.png admin2012-07-03 09:07:532016-12-13 08:15:52Ten Tips for Keeping Kids Sun-Safe
Ten Tips for Keeping Kids Sun-Safe
Part Three of Our Sun & Skin Series
Pediatricians are recommending kids get outside and get more exercise. But what should you do to keep your kids safe from the sun? Here are some top tips.
- Talk to your child’s pediatrician about skin safety to make sure you have the latest information.
- Encourage your kids to use sunscreen SPF 15 or above, and make sure they understand why it’s important.
- Teach your child to monitor his or her skin while outside; if skin turns white when pressed on with a finger it may be starting to sunburn.
- Have your child wear a hat or baseball cap when playing out in the sun.
- Have your child wear UV-blocking sunglasses when in the sun.
- When playing outside have your child wear a shirt and pants that provide good coverage. Some clothing now comes with the UPF (ultraviolet protection factor) listed on the tags.
- Encourage outside play before 10am or after 4pm when the sun is less intense.
- Medications can increase the skin’s sensitivity to light, so be aware of any medications your child may be taking. Common drugs like non-steroidal anti-inflammatories and antibiotics can cause increased sensitivity, so talk to your doctor about your children’s medications.
- Insure your kids get adequate amounts of vitamin D from food and supplements, rather than from sun exposure only.
- Urge local schools and youth programs to adopt sun protection policies, such as providing shade on playgrounds and outdoor sports venues.
Part One of Our Sun & Skin Series
Part Two of Our Sun & Skin Series
Part Four of Our Sun & Skin Series
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!