Pros and Cons of Submuscular vs Subglandular Breast Implants –
In addition to choosing the size, shape, material, size and “projection” of your breast implants – the placement of your implant must be considered. Breast implants can be placed over or under (or in some cases between) the muscles in your chest.
Subglandular breast implants put the breast implant directly behind the mammary gland, but in front of the muscle. Submuscular breast implants are positioned completely behind the chest muscle wall.
Choosing the right breast implant placement is an important decision made by you and your breast augmentation surgeon. Many factors come into play in making this decision, including: the type of implant; the increase in size; the amount of available breast tissue; your skin and muscle tone; your size; lifestyle; and your appearance goals.
Detroit are plastic surgeon Dr. Ali has helped thousands of women achieve the look and feel they desire with perfectly chosen and expertly “placed” breast implants. In this article we explain the pros and cons of Submuscular vs Subglandular breast implant placement.
Submuscular Breast Implants Pros
- Implants may feel more natural
- Implants are less “palpable”
- Capsular contracture may be less likely
- Easier to image breast with mammography
Submuscular Breast Implants Cons
- Surgery time may be longer
- Recovery time may be longer
- May be more painful
- Future breast re-operation or revision surgery is more difficult
- Not advised for thin or weakened breast tissue
- Better option for women with drooping breasts
Subglandular Breast Implants Pros
- Surgery time may be shorter
- Recovery time may be shorter
- May be less painful
- Future re-operation or revision surgery is easier
- Better for thin or weakened breast tissue
- Good option for athletic and muscular women
Subglandular Breast Implants Cons
- Implants may feel less natural
- Implants may be more palpable or visible under the skin
- Capsular contracture may be more likely
- Harder to image breast with mammography
Best Detroit Breast Implant Surgeon
There are many decisions to be made when selecting the best breast implant that is right for you. The only way to truly understand your options is to schedule a consultation with a top Detroit area breast surgeon like Dr. Ali. If you are considering breast implant surgery, he will be happy to offer you a consultation to help you decide the right size, shape, incision, placement and type of implant for you.
Feel beautiful inside and out, with breast implant surgery. And remember, financing options are also available.